Planning inspector rejects South Molton windfarm appeals
PLANNING permission for two proposed wind farm developments near South Molton has been turned down by the Planning Inspectorate, it has been announced today (Friday). The proposals for nine wind turbines at Paul s Moor, Knowstone, and four wind turbines a
PLANNING permission for two proposed wind farm developments near South Molton has been turned down by the Planning Inspectorate, it has been announced today (Friday).
The proposals for nine wind turbines at Paul's Moor, Knowstone, and four wind turbines at Bickham Moor, Oakford, have been the subject of a public inquiry, that opened in June last year.
Developers Airtricity and Coronation Power appealed against the non determination of their applications by North Devon Council and Mid Devon District Council.
Despite acknowledging the need for renewable energy schemes, planning inspector Philip Major dismissed the appeals and refused permission for the two windfarms due to their impact on the character of the area, in particular, the Exmoor National Park.
You may also want to watch:
"The substantial harm to the landscape and to the setting of Exmoor resulting from the extensive nature of the development proposed is such that it outweighs all other considerations," said Mr Major.
But in what he called a "finely balanced decision" Mr Major said his ruling did not mean that other proposals in the area would be unacceptable. Other proposals are currently being determined for a two-turbine windfarm at nearby Cross Moor and a nine turbine development at Batsworthy Cross.
- 1 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 2 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 3 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 4 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 5 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 6 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 7 Mercy for man who took part in Bideford Quay affray
- 8 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 9 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 10 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
Read Wednesday's North Devon Gazette for the full story.