Pipes and drums gather for Bideford Carnival.
PIPERS and drummers from all over the south of England will be coming to Bideford this weekend for two days of music making, including their massed pipes and drums event, now a traditional part of Bideford’s carnival night.
On Friday night there is a concert by the Celtic rockers James Robertson and Friends at the Pollyfield Centre.
Saturday brings the town’s carnival at 6pm and pipe bands will be taking part in the procession before gathering afterwards for their own massed pipes and drums parade along the quay, playing a number of the well-known favourites and finishing with the ever popular Highland Cathedral.
The bands will also be having an informal get-together and playing on Bideford Quay from 11.15am on Sunday morning.
This year they will pay tribute to the Royal British Legion on their 90th anniversary. Taking the salute as Chieftain of the Gathering will be Commander Charles Crichton OBE RN (Retired). Charles has been a great supporter of the Bideford Massed Pipes and Drums since its first event in 2003 and has been the senior drum major on numerous occasions when the pipe bands of the South West join together.
You may also want to watch:
The senior Drum Major for this year’s event will once again be Drum Major Alastair Pether of the RAF.
Tickets for Friday’s concert are available from Mike Harper on (01237) 422477, e-mail email@example.com or will on the night.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home