Pipes and drums gather for Bideford Carnival.
PIPERS and drummers from all over the south of England will be coming to Bideford this weekend for two days of music making, including their massed pipes and drums event, now a traditional part of Bideford’s carnival night.
On Friday night there is a concert by the Celtic rockers James Robertson and Friends at the Pollyfield Centre.
Saturday brings the town’s carnival at 6pm and pipe bands will be taking part in the procession before gathering afterwards for their own massed pipes and drums parade along the quay, playing a number of the well-known favourites and finishing with the ever popular Highland Cathedral.
The bands will also be having an informal get-together and playing on Bideford Quay from 11.15am on Sunday morning.
This year they will pay tribute to the Royal British Legion on their 90th anniversary. Taking the salute as Chieftain of the Gathering will be Commander Charles Crichton OBE RN (Retired). Charles has been a great supporter of the Bideford Massed Pipes and Drums since its first event in 2003 and has been the senior drum major on numerous occasions when the pipe bands of the South West join together.
You may also want to watch:
The senior Drum Major for this year’s event will once again be Drum Major Alastair Pether of the RAF.
Tickets for Friday’s concert are available from Mike Harper on (01237) 422477, e-mail email@example.com or will on the night.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton