‘Pint of milk and a packet of tea please...’ — pub shop opens at Hele
- Credit: Archant
New ‘SOS Shop’ opens at Hele Billy’s after the last shop in the village shuts down.
RESIDENTS and visitors at Hele Bay in Ilfracombe have been increasingly popping out to the pub for a pint….. of milk, loaf of bread…. or even a can of beans.
Hele Billy’s has opened up a new SOS Shop in the bar to provide basic groceries after the local filling station closed down.
Pub owners Barbara and Simon Andersen have stocked up a range of ‘essential’ goods such as eggs, bacon, sausages, milk, tea, coffee, soft drinks and toilet paper.
“The garage was open from 7am until 10 at night and did provide a great service locally,” said Barbara.
You may also want to watch:
“When it closed we had older people in the village who were having to get on the bus just to go and get a pint of milk or loaf.
“There are no shops here and we’re worried that will deter visitors from coming back here and Hele is a resort in its own right.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
The shop opening hours aren’t bad either – 10am to midnight…