‘Pint of milk and a packet of tea please...’ — pub shop opens at Hele
- Credit: Archant
New ‘SOS Shop’ opens at Hele Billy’s after the last shop in the village shuts down.
RESIDENTS and visitors at Hele Bay in Ilfracombe have been increasingly popping out to the pub for a pint….. of milk, loaf of bread…. or even a can of beans.
Hele Billy’s has opened up a new SOS Shop in the bar to provide basic groceries after the local filling station closed down.
Pub owners Barbara and Simon Andersen have stocked up a range of ‘essential’ goods such as eggs, bacon, sausages, milk, tea, coffee, soft drinks and toilet paper.
“The garage was open from 7am until 10 at night and did provide a great service locally,” said Barbara.
You may also want to watch:
“When it closed we had older people in the village who were having to get on the bus just to go and get a pint of milk or loaf.
“There are no shops here and we’re worried that will deter visitors from coming back here and Hele is a resort in its own right.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 7 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 8 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 9 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
The shop opening hours aren’t bad either – 10am to midnight…