Pilton Green Man will celebrate summer
BARNSTAPLE is set to come alive with spectacular greenery on Saturday when a corner of the town pays its special annual homage to the summer season. Organisers of Pilton s Green Man Day have put together another packed programme of events to draw in the
BARNSTAPLE is set to come alive with spectacular greenery on Saturday when a corner of the town pays its special annual homage to the summer season.
Organisers of Pilton's Green Man Day have put together another packed programme of events to draw in the crowds.
The action begins at 11am with a colourful and lively parade from the Square that is expected to arrive at Pilton House in time for the first of two Green Man pageants at 12noon.
The enactment will retell the encounter between the Pilton Prior and Green Man, an ancient symbol of nature and fertility often depicted in carvings in old churches, including the parish church of St Mary the Virgin in Pilton.
You may also want to watch:
Pilton Street will be closed to traffic from 10am until 5pm to play host to a variety of market stalls, demonstration, music, games, street entertainers and sideshows.
Live music takes place on four stages around the village, with other events at Pilton House, Pilton Hall and in the Rotary Gardens sure to keep festival-goers entertained throughout the day.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 8 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
For more information, programmes will be available on the day or in advance from Pilton Pottery or the North Devon Gazette offices on Old Station Road.