Pictures: Pilton Green Man Day 2019
- Credit: Archant
The people of Pilton and the surrounding area turned out in force today (Saturday, July 20) for the annual Green Man Day.
It all began with a parade from Barnstaple Square featuring hundreds of colourfully dressed people, plenty of drums and the cry of 'follow us to Pilton'.
Once there, the parade made its way along a Pilton Street thronged with thousands of people, together with plenty of stalls, live music and revelry.
In the grounds of Pilton House the Green Man Pageant was enacted for the first time that day as young and old put on a show depicting the seasons, the fertility legend behind the Green Man and the way the church came into the mix later.
Alongside characters representing autumn, winter, the queen of May and others were the Green Man himself and the Prior of Pilton.
You may also want to watch:
The pageant played out again later in the afternoon too.
There were also plenty of stalls along the street and in the Pilton House grounds, many raising money for local good causes.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council