Four fire engines and the aerial ladder were rushed to the shop in Pilton Street just before 4.30pm, amid fears the roof fire would spread to other properties. Fire crews left the scene five hours later and owners Mark and Dawn Wotton told the Gazette that thankfully there had not been a huge amount of damage. Mark said the blaze had started in a fan motor in a cupboard upstairs, spreading to the roof, but staff just about to start their Friday shift heard the alarm, and attacked the fire with extinguishers, with fire crews arriving within minutes of being called. Repairs are under way and the shop hopes to be open for business by mid to late next week. Mark praised the fire service and said they were brilliant, promising free fish and chips to all those who attended. The family also said the Pilton community had been amazing, with many people offering support. Mark added: We were really lucky the staff acted the way they did and spotted it so quickly the fire brigade said it had only been going for 15 to 20 minutes. No-body was hurt, thats the main thing.