Pictures & video: Ilfracombe Wetherspoon work under way
- Credit: Archant
Machines move in to level the ground before concrete pilings and a steel building frame go up in the coming weeks.
WORK is now under way to put Ilfracombe among some 200 communities received a new JD Wetherspoon pub in the past two years.
Contractor Sanderson Limited is now on the former Collingwood Hotel site at the seafront preparing the foundations for the £4million Wetherspoon pub and restaurant.
Site manager John Johnson of Sanderson explained Bideford based Notts Ltd was currently working to level the ground before some 80 concrete piles are driven into the ground to form the base of the new pub.
He said a two storey steel frame construction would be going up at the end of November and the roof was expected to be in place by mid December.
You may also want to watch:
Weather permitting, it is anticipated the modern glass and steel building with a glass dome, beer garden and sea view roof terrace will be open for business at Easter.
“I think this will be a good addition to this area – it will be a fantastic building,” Mr Johnson told the North Devon Gazette.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“In a month you will see a massive difference on the site here. It will be a self-contained site and there won’t be a great deal of traffic in and out. At the busiest point there will be 30-plus people working on site.
“We have done about 200 Wetherspoons on the last couple of years, so we know exactly what the requirements are.”
Specialists will be sub-contracted to do the piling, steel and brickwork on the site.
A design statement for the Ilfracombe Wetherspoon says the building will have ‘clean lines, a crisp and bold aesthetic and eye-catching design’.
There will be dining and drinking facilities inside and out, with ‘wow’ factors such as feature fireplaces and sculptures, as well as artwork by local artists.
It is estimated it could create up to 70 new jobs.
It has been a long time coming, with a very lengthy planning process, including dropping earlier plans to build a hotel on the site, part of previous proposals submitted in 2011.