Pictures: Saunton beach users say ‘keep our beach within reach’
- Credit: Archant
Families descend upon beach to air feelings about proposed car parking changes
Beach users gathered at Saunton Sands today (Sunday) to make their feelings known about proposed car parking changes.
The ‘beach party’, organised by the Saunton Beach Action Group, was held ahead of a decision on plans to charge by the hour using an automatic number plate recognition barrier system.
A convoy of cars arrived at the car park at midday, many motorists tooting their horns to air their frustration that proposed pricing details have not yet been revealed by car park operators.
Around 100 people made their way onto the beach, many wearing colourful flower garlands. Some carried homemade signs bearing slogs such as ‘keep the beach within reach’, and ‘fair price parking’.
You may also want to watch:
Action group spokesperson Peter Robinson said the latest proposals by Saunton Beach Enterprises were ‘a step in the right direction’, but he said locals were concerned about what the actual new parking prices would be.
He said: “They still haven’t told us what the charges will actually be; all we are asking for is some transparency.”
Last week, Lucie and Paul Tamlyn of Saunton Beach Enterprises told the Gazette that there will be no 24-hour charging under the new scheme and that all-day parking would cost no more than £8.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 4 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 5 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 6 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 10 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
Lucie said: “Yes, they are frustrated we are not releasing exact details, but as we have explained, until we know the outcome of the planning committee, the details are hypothetical.
“The changes we have made will make most people happy and provide better car park value for locals and tourists alike.”
A planning application submitted by Saunton Beach Enterprises is set to be determined by North Devon Council’s planning committee on Wednesday, February 10.