PICTURES: Olympian Mary King is a special guest at pony club awards night
- Credit: Archant
Young prize winners inspired by six-time Olympic eventing horse rider
Veteran Olympic eventing horse rider Mary King MBE was the guest of honour for Dulverton West Pony Club’s sold-out awards night.
Mrs King, who has represented Great Britain at a remarkable six Olympic games since 1992, spoke to members of the North Molton club about her experiences in three-day eventing, including what she described as her ‘best’ Olympics, London 2012. At last year’s games, she won a team silver to add to previous Olympic silver and bronze medals.
She also gave advice to the young riders of the pony club on how to achieve their dreams.
“My advice is for you to have aims, and follows your dreams,” she said. “If you have the drive to take those big ups and downs on the way, anything is possible at the end of the day.”
You may also want to watch:
On top of their special guest, DWPC held a prize draw and collection for Devon Air Ambulance and were able to make a £200 donation to the charity.
District Commissioner of DWPC Janet Cummings said: “It was a great evening and we were honored by Mary’s attendance.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 9 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 10 A dose of rugby reality for Barnstaple
“Many of our Pony Club members have been inspired by meeting her, and it has to be said that many of their mums and dads were equally star struck!”
NatWest Bank Trophy: Martika Gallagher.
The Dulverton West Perpetual Shield: Mary Bradshaw.
The Sparkan Cup: Hayley Northcott with Stella.
The Jumping Cup: Megan Issacs.
The Georgina Bowman Cup: Ella Broggio and Marcus Boundy.
The Moser Challenge Cup: Zac Bryan.
The Maisie Trophy: Daisy Waldron.
Juniors (under 12 years)
The Dulverton West Perpetual Shield: Jessica Cumings.
The Nigel Hawke, Thorne Farm Racing (kindly donated by Mrs Mead): Isobel Davies.
The Ben Cup (kindly donated by Mr & Mrs Glendining): Grace Sinclair.
The Challenge Alarm Service Shield (kindly donated by Mr & Mrs Evetts): Josh Flanagan.
The Broggio Plate (kindly donated by Mr & Mrs Broggio): Lily Cronk.
The Dressage Cup (kindly donated by Mr & Mrs Pepper): Grace Sinclair.
The Bradshaw Cup: Bethany Cork/Runner Up - Lucy Pepper.
The Waldron Trophy: Tabitha Waldron. Runner Up - Josh Flanagan.
The Prince Phillip Cup: William Turner.
Three medals were awarded for members that joined the pony club this year at 4 years old: Zak Flanagan, Harriet Griffin and Kayley Webster.