Pictures: Homes evacuated following workshop blaze
- Credit: Archant
Fierce fire engulfs Barnstaple building.
PEOPLE were evacuated from their homes following a fire at a workshop in Barnstaple last night (Wednesday).
Eyewitnesses described how fierce flames took hold of the building in a matter of minutes after fire broke out at the junction of Pottington Road and Braunton Road, shortly after 10pm.
At its height, four crews battled to contain the blaze, three from Barnstaple and one from Braunton.
They described the 10x4 metre workshop as being ‘heavily involved’ in fire.
You may also want to watch:
Local resident Brian Saunders said: “There was a lot of smoke at first but the fire seemed to take hold in a matter of minutes.
“It was quite fierce for the size of the building.”
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The road was closed off and power isolated to neighbouring properties.
Three homes were evacuated due to the risk of flames and heat, and fears that gas cylinders were being stored inside the building.
Residents were eventually able to return to their homes after firefighters confirmed that no cylinders were inside.
Crews were able to contain the fire and were stood down at around 1.30am.
Part of Pottington Road is still closed to traffic this morning due to concerns that the building could collapse.
A crew revisited the scene this morning and used a hose reel jet to cool a hotspot detected. A structural engineer will need examine the stability of the building before the road can reopen.