A fire has broken out at Clippers hair salon in Bridgeland Street, Bideford this afternoon (Wednesday). Four fire crews from Bideford and Barnstaple were called out to the salon on the ground floor of the building at around 2.45pm today. Breathing apparatus wearers combatted the flames and all people were free and clear of the property on the fire services arrival. Crews were still working to dampen the fire at 4.30pm and by 6pm the incident was scaled down to two pumps. Incident commander Bill Harvison praised those in the salon that raised the alarm. He said: It has been quite a severe fire on the ground floor of the three story building. The people in the shop did all the right things - they spotted the fire, they evacuated as quickly as possible, they knocked off the electricity and they didnt stop to try and tackle it, they got out and waited for us to arrive. They also gave us good instructions about what was involved, so we were able to resource it quickly. A hairdryer is thought to be the initial cause of the blaze. The front of the shop blew out as crews arrived on the scene. Firefighters confirmed that the fire started on the ground floor, spreading up to the first floor of the property. The heat from the fire also caused damage to cars parked immediately outside the property. In total six breathing apparatus wearers, three hose reel jets, a safety jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan were in use at the scene. Bridgeland Street was closed for much of the evening and when fire fighters re-visited the scene at 10pm the blaze was confirmed out.