Pictures: Beverley Knight adds soul to Christmas lights switch on
Barnstaple switch-on goes ahead as Exeter and Plymouth events are axed due to bad weather.
BARNSTAPLE showed its soul with a star-studded Christmas lights switch-on event that defied the elements tonight (Thursday).
With similar events in Plymouth and Exeter cancelled due to torrential rain and gales, the show went ahead as planned in North Devon with a crowd-pulling headline performance by the ‘Queen of British Soul’ Beverley Knight.
The weather had a noticeable impact on the large audience numbers of recent years; but the thousands who did brave the conditions were treated to an intimate live performance by the multi-MOBO award winning singer.
After pushing the plunger to turn on the town’s Christmas lights, Beverley sung four songs including the Junior Giscombe hit Mama Used to Say; Erma Franklin’s Piece of My Heart and her own top-ten hit Shoulda Would Coulda.
You may also want to watch:
Accompanied by her own backing singers and members of the Mama Stones House Band, the singer then performed an improvised number thanking Barnstaple for its warm welcome, even on the coldest and wettest of nights.
Click on the gallery link at the top right of this page to see pictures from tonight’s event.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising