Pictures: Barnstaple garden centre packed out as Santa comes to town
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of youngsters at St John’s to see Father Christmas arrive by horse-drawn ‘sleigh’.
HUNDREDS of children and their families turned out to see the arrival of Father Christmas at St John’s Garden Centre in Barnstaple on Friday evening.
The grand old gentleman drew gasps from open-mouthed youngsters as he arrived on a horse-drawn sleigh with the cast of the Queen’s Theatre pantomime.
His visit marked the opening of the garden centre’s free Winter Wonderland Walk and Santa’s grotto.
Also back with another new and imaginative display was the St John’s Santa Band, which this year will be collecting donations for the Devon Freewheelers – bikers who deliver urgently needed blood, drugs and other medical requirements between hospitals.
You may also want to watch:
The late-night shopping event was as popular as ever and garden centre owners said shoppers continued to pile through the doors during the weekend.
Chris Webber, marketing manager said: “It’s always difficult to gauge numbers but it was certainly very busy and I think people really enjoyed it.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
“It’s all about the children really but the tills were busy all evening and the cafe did very well.”
Santa will be in his grotto this Saturday and Sunday – and every day up until Christmas Eve. See page 16 of this week’s Gazette for more details.