Fire fighters force entry into neighbouring properties to stop roof fire spreading in Appledore terrace.

The third floor of a property in Bude Street, Appledore, has been completely destroyed in a fire.

Fire fighters from Bideford were called out at 6.50pm yesterday (Monday) to find the blaze in the roof space of a property in a terraced row of houses.

Eyewitness Ray Goldsmith said: "Smoke was bellowing out of the chimney and the fire fighters had to use a battering ram to bring the door down."

They forced entry into the neighbourhood properties to avoid the fire spreading, while calling for backup from Torrington, Barnstaple and Ilfracombe.

Crews used four breathing apparatus wearers to extinguish the blaze usign two hose reel jets and a safety jet.

The fire was successfully extinguish but the third floor was completely destryed and 50 per cent of the first floor was damaged by heat and smoke.