Pictures and video special: A flying start for Combe Martin Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Grand opening, raft racing and much more to come as Carnival Week 2013 moves into high gear.
COMBE Martin Carnival Week is up and running as costumed characters of all ages take to the streets, the fields and the water for seven days of fun.
On Saturday, a successful grand opening at Hollands Park saw Wacky Races with a space hopper derby, dumpy sack race and junior wheelbarrow race among others, together with live music into the evening.
Last night (Sunday) crews took to the water for the annual Raft Race mayhem, with kayak, junior and senior raft races offering plenty of opportunity for watery chaos.
Tonight (Monday) is Fairy Queen Night from 6pm at Hollands Park, with the choosing of the carnival royalty plus a glamorous granny competition and family disco.
You may also want to watch:
A Flower Festival is running at the Parish Church every day until tomorrow (Tuesday) from 10am-4pm.
The main carnival parade is on Wednesday, with assembly at Holdstone Way at the top of the village from 6pm, judging at 6.30pm and the procession moving off at 7.30pm.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
On Friday, there is a Children’s Pavement Art Competition at Borough Road by the seaside from 10.30-11am.
Also on Friday the popular Wheelbarrow Race – essentially a second carnival parade – sets off from the top of the village at 8pm.
Entrants are invited to put on their best fancy dress and assemble from 6.30-7pm. The fun concludes with a firework display at the beach at around 9.30pm.
Carnival Week winds down with everything from classic vehicles to supercars at a Static Motor Show on Saturday in the coach park by the Pack O’ Cards.
Pick up your carnival programme at outlets around the village, visit the Combe Martin Carnival Facebook page or go to www.combemartincarnival.com
* CLICK on the gallery links to the top right of this story to see more raft race pictures plus pictures by Sharon O’Farrell from the opening day.