Picture special: Ilfracombe May Day Celebrations
- Credit: Archant
The sun shone and much mirth was had as Ilfracombe celebrated May Day with its 14th Jack-in-the-Green procession, dancing and music.
THERE was no danger of the ‘Spirit of Summer’ slipping up yesterday (Monday) as Ilfracombe marked its 14th May Day Celebrations under glorious skies.
The festivities saw ‘Jack-in-the-Green’ and green clad revellers led through the High Street to the seafront by Town Crier Roy Goodwin, accompanied by the ‘Lord and Lady of Misrule’, drummers Humdrumconundrum, plus Morris dance groups Bideford Phoenix Morris and The Tinners Morris from South Zeal.
At the seafront May Queen Stasia Gallagher was crowned and there was maypole dancing by children from Ilfracombe Junior School.
Then ‘Jack’ was led down to the beach where his greenery was stripped off and the ‘Spirit of Summer’ released, to the fervent hope it lasts a little longer this year…
You may also want to watch:
* CLICK on the gallery links to the top right of this page to see more pictures from Ilfracombe’s May Day fun.
See more pictures at www.northdevongazette.co.uk
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 9 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 10 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon