Picture special: Ilfracombe May Day Celebrations
- Credit: Archant
The sun shone and much mirth was had as Ilfracombe celebrated May Day with its 14th Jack-in-the-Green procession, dancing and music.
THERE was no danger of the ‘Spirit of Summer’ slipping up yesterday (Monday) as Ilfracombe marked its 14th May Day Celebrations under glorious skies.
The festivities saw ‘Jack-in-the-Green’ and green clad revellers led through the High Street to the seafront by Town Crier Roy Goodwin, accompanied by the ‘Lord and Lady of Misrule’, drummers Humdrumconundrum, plus Morris dance groups Bideford Phoenix Morris and The Tinners Morris from South Zeal.
At the seafront May Queen Stasia Gallagher was crowned and there was maypole dancing by children from Ilfracombe Junior School.
Then ‘Jack’ was led down to the beach where his greenery was stripped off and the ‘Spirit of Summer’ released, to the fervent hope it lasts a little longer this year…
You may also want to watch:
* CLICK on the gallery links to the top right of this page to see more pictures from Ilfracombe’s May Day fun.
See more pictures at www.northdevongazette.co.uk
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 7 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs