Photos: Woman 28, suffers ‘life-threatening’ injuries in collision with police van
- Credit: Archant
Pedestrian in hospital after being hit by marked police van in Bideford.
A 28-year-old pedestrian is in hospital with life-threatening head injuries after being hit by a police van in Bideford last night (Wednesday).
The collision between the woman and a marked police Ford Transit van took place near Longbridge Wharf on New Road at around 7.17pm.
The casualty was initially taken to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple but was later air lifted to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.
The driver of the police vehicle, a serving officer, was uninjured.
You may also want to watch:
The police van was on routine patrol and travelling in the direction of Torrington and officers from the Serious Collisions Investigation Unit have been carrying out a full investigation at the scene to establish how the collision occurred.
The incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
Witnesses are urged to contact police on 101 and quote log 738 of 6 March 2013.