A woman was taken to hospital after five fire crews battled to fight blaze at Torrington terraced home.

A woman was taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation after a fire at a house in Calf Street in Torrington yesterday (Thursday).

Fire fighters from Torrington, Bideford and Appledore sped to the terraced house as smoke plumed from the roof shortly after 5pm.

The fire had begun in the first floor bedroom but fire fighters quickly realised it had spread to the roof and called for backup from Barnstaple and South Molton.

The fire and second floor were both affected by the blaze and crews used six breathing apparatus wearers, three hose reel jets and two covering jets to fight the flames.

They isolated gas and electric at the house and used the aerial platform ladder from Barnstaple to remove roof tiles.

Everyone was accounted for and one woman was taken to hospital as a precaution.

The cause of the fire is not yet know.