Photos: More snow disruption for North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Several schools are closed and some roads treacherous as heavy snow returns to many areas.
NORTH Devon has been hit by a second bout of snow with more flakes falling this morning (Weds).
Some schools opened this morning but many are now sending children home.
At 10am today, the Met Office extended its yellow warning of snow to cover North Devon until 9pm.
Initially the warning was in place until 10am and an ice warning is also over North Devon until 11am.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the forecasters said: “Further outbreaks of sleet or snow will affect parts of Wales and southwest England through today.
“A further 2-5 cm is likely in places with perhaps as much as 10 cm over high ground.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
The A361 at Mullacott is just passable due to the snow, and the A361 Link Road is reported to be badly hit, worst at Rackenford at the Rifton Lane junction.
On Twitter, @hughHocc warned: “Conditions deteriorate very quickly, as you are moving, one minute rain further down the road a few moments later heavy snow #devonroads”
A yellow weather warning of snow and ice has been put in place by the Met Office this morning.
The following schools are closed in North Devon:
Ilfracombe CoE Junior school
Great Torrington Bluecoat CoE Infant
Combe Martin Primary
Berrynarbour CoE Primary School
Parracombe Church Of England Primary School
Kentisbury Primary School
West Down School
North Molton School
East Anstey Primary School
Schools partially affected:
Ilfracombe Media Arts College – college open, but no school transport from Lynton (Ilf 1 and 2) and Woolacombe/Mortehoe today.
Stagecoach Devon has said the following services are affected:
315/X7 - Currently unable to serve North Molton.
155 - Currently unable to serve Bakery Way.
* Update 10.38am: Berrynarbor School now closed.
* Update 11.45am: Stagecoach reports the 910/911 schools service to Combe Martin from Ilfracombe College is closing and the company is running this service within the hour to pick up students.
155: Not able to serve Bakery Way and Hooda Close.
Update 1.23pm: The following schools are now closed - Berrynarbor; Combe Martin Primary School; Ilfracombe Junior School; Umberleigh Community Primary School; Great Torrington Bluecoat Infant School (closed 12noon); Woolacombe School (closed due to worsening top road conditions); Pathfield School; Kings Nympton Community Primary School (closed at lunchtime).
Update 1.30pm: Marwood School - Gritter and snow clearance taking place between 1-2pm. Parents advised to collect children once this has taken place.
Is it snowing where you are? Send your photos to email@example.com or submit them to iwitness24 using the link in the top right of the page.