Photos: Fire fighters called to backyard blaze
- Credit: Archant
A crew from Bideford attended the scene to extinguish the fire, which is believed to be arson, in Brookfield Street.
FIRE fighters were called to a fire in the backyard of a house in Brookfield Street, Bideford this afternoon (Friday).
A crew from Bideford attended the scene to find a garden shed on fire.
Fire fighters used a hose reel jet and a ladder to extinguish the blaze which severely damaged a two metre by two metre shed.
An eyewitness said: “The house owner was amazed how quickly this caught; he said only an old tumble drier was in the yard and he had no idea how it had started.
You may also want to watch:
“A fire engine from Bideford attended within 10 minutes and soon dealt with the fire.”
Watch manager Neil Hole said the cause of the fire was believed to be arson.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
He said: “There was a washing machine, mattress and old computer chair in the yard which was rubbish waiting to go to the tip.
“There was no source of ignition in the shed at all but the owner did say there was a hole in the back gate which someone could possibly have chucked a cigarette through.
“I have put the cause down to arson because there is no other way it appears this fire could have started.
“The shed and back gate were severely damaged, but it could have been a lot worse if we hadn’t been called so quickly.”