Photos: Fire fighters called to backyard blaze
- Credit: Archant
A crew from Bideford attended the scene to extinguish the fire, which is believed to be arson, in Brookfield Street.
FIRE fighters were called to a fire in the backyard of a house in Brookfield Street, Bideford this afternoon (Friday).
A crew from Bideford attended the scene to find a garden shed on fire.
Fire fighters used a hose reel jet and a ladder to extinguish the blaze which severely damaged a two metre by two metre shed.
An eyewitness said: “The house owner was amazed how quickly this caught; he said only an old tumble drier was in the yard and he had no idea how it had started.
You may also want to watch:
“A fire engine from Bideford attended within 10 minutes and soon dealt with the fire.”
Watch manager Neil Hole said the cause of the fire was believed to be arson.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 7 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 8 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
He said: “There was a washing machine, mattress and old computer chair in the yard which was rubbish waiting to go to the tip.
“There was no source of ignition in the shed at all but the owner did say there was a hole in the back gate which someone could possibly have chucked a cigarette through.
“I have put the cause down to arson because there is no other way it appears this fire could have started.
“The shed and back gate were severely damaged, but it could have been a lot worse if we hadn’t been called so quickly.”