PHOTOS: Fire at busy Torrington pub
- Credit: Archant
Around 30 people evacuated after chimney catches fire.
A BUSY Torrington pub was evacuated following a chimney fire last night (Thursday).
Around 30 people were led to safety after flames and embers shot from the fireplace and chimney at The Cavalier Inn, in Well Street.
Landlord Justin Matthews said firefighters were alerted shortly before 8pm.
“It was pool night so there were about 30 people in the pub at the time,” said Mr Matthews, who has run the pub for the last eight years.
You may also want to watch:
“There were some people eating in the dining room but luckily they had just finished eating as we began evacuating the pub.”
Fire crews from Torrington and Bideford had to make a hole in the chimney through a loft space to prevent the spread of flames.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 8 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
They left the scene at around 10.30pm but returned later to check for ‘hotspots’.
Mr Matthews said the blaze had caused ‘extensive’ damage to the chimney but the pub was still open for business as usual.
He thanked staff and customers for their speedy evacuation of the pub.