Photos: Barn destroyed in farmyard blaze near South Molton
- Credit: Archant
Large barn filled with straw ablaze near South Molton last night (Thursday).
FIRE crews spent more than eight hours tackling a large barn fire near South Molton last night (Thurs).
Five fire crews were scrambled to the scene in Hacche Lane near Aller Cross at 7.30pm to find the barn well alight.
A large quantity of straw inside the barn was ablaze and despite fire fighters’ efforts, by 9pm the barn had partially collapsed.
Crews from South Molton, Barnstaple, Witheride, Chulmleigh, Torrington and Ilfracombe attended the scene.
You may also want to watch:
At 10.40pm a watching brief was being maintained as crews cooled and protected an adjacent building using two hose reel jets and one main jet.
And at 3.45am, crews were still at the scene, changing over to maintain watch on the area with one fire engine remaining.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.
People took to Twitter after spotting the flames to report the incident.
@elldorado8910h said on Twitter: “Fire is at South Leigh farm. Not sure whether it’s house or barn but it’s huge.”
@Taxi_Anne said: “House fire at Aller Cross is still burning 2 1/2 later. It’s huge, hope noone’s hurt #NDevon.”
And @Mr_Milenko tweeted: “Been over 3 hours as I went passed there at half 9 and at least 3 fire units were there already.”
Did you see the fire last night? Email your photos to email@example.com.