Photos and Video: Stagecoach launches £4m fleet
- Credit: Archant
The new fleet of 22 North Devon Wave buses was unveiled at an event in Barnstaple today (Weds).
VIDEO: Watch some of singer-songwriter Adam Isaac’s performance at the launch event.
A £4 million fleet of new buses for North Devon has been officially launched by Stagecoach today (Weds).
The 22 new North Devon Wave buses were unveiled in Barnstaple Square with a guest performance from Devon singer-songwriter Adam Isaac, as seen on The Voice UK.
The buses are built to the latest environmental standards and represent the single biggest investment in Stagecoach’s North Devon bus network to date.
You may also want to watch:
Timetables will see an increase in journeys in the evening and the Scania Enviro 400 buses will operate between Ilfracombe, Braunton, Barnstaple, Instow, East the Water, Bideford and Westward Ho! and Appledore.
One of the new buses was named after Michelle Hargreaves, managing director of Stagecoach South West, who is leaving her position for another within the company.
- 1 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 10 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
The Michelle Catherine bus was unveiled in a surprise announcement before the cutting of the ribbon.
“I have been with Stagecoach for 26 years; I can’t believe they named a bus after me, it was quite emotional when they unveiled it,” she said.
“These buses are a huge investment and it’s thanks to the people of North Devon that have used our buses for the last few years.
“Without them this just wouldn’t have been possible.”
Councillor Valerie Elkins, Barnstaple’s deputy mayor, had the honour of cutting the ribbon to officially launch the fleet into action.
“It’s a fantastic investment for the area,” said Cllr Elkins.
“I hope this will open the door for other companies to invest here.”
Torridge District Council’s deputy leader Councillor Roger Johnson also attended the launch event.
He said: “It was my wife’s birthday a few days ago and we got the bus back and it was great; you didn’t have to rush off or worry about having a drink.
“It’s just a wonderful way of getting around the area and I think these new buses will be brilliant for that.”
GALLERY: For more photos visit the gallery in the top-right of the page.