Photos and Video: Bideford twinkles after Light Switch On
See all the photos from this weekend’s Christmas light switch on event in our galleries.
CROWDS flocked to Bideford Quay yesterday (Sun) to get into the festive spirit at the annual Christmas Light Switch On.
Despite the rain, thousands gathered to enjoy the afternoon of festivities which culminated in a reindeer parade and fireworks display.
Titan the Robot drew crowds of admirers in his three shows during the afternoon, and children flocked to see the reindeer from the Cairngorm Reindeer Centre.
After performances from St Mary’s School Choir and Bideford Town Band, the lights were switched on by Chloe Staddon, James Skinner and Hunter Parton from the Children’s Hospice Southwest and Children’s Holiday Foundation North Devon.
Reindeer then paraded through the streets, with a firework display as the grand finale.
Organiser Darren Sparrey said: “It was great to see thousands of people turned out and it was a brilliant event.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 4 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 7 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 8 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
- 9 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 10 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
“Everybody did an amazing job, from Phil Vanstone with the fairground rides to the fireworks display at the end of the evening.
“The Voice FM did a sterling job presenting the whole thing and people still keep saying to me it’s the best switch on in the area.
“Bideford Town Council provided all the funding for the lights and next year we have an even bigger budget.
“We’ll sit down and put our heads together in March but we’re hoping we can go all out next year for the biggest and best event yet.”
Check out our galleries to see the photos from this weekend’s Light Switch On event.