Photo: Car marooned by high tide in Barnstaple car park
- Credit: Archant
Vehicle falls victim to the River Taw as high winds hit North Devon.
ONE unlucky car owner received a free car wash in Barnstaple this afternoon (Sat) after parking by the side of the River Taw.
The car, parked on the slipway along Castle Quay, was spotted by Gazette reader Lucy Sumner surrounded by water just before 5pm, though the owners were not at the scene.
It is understood the female owner of the car returned to the scene shortly after and three passersby waded into the water to help push the car free.
High winds are thought to have pushed up the tide as North Devon remains under a yellow weather warning until 9pm.
You may also want to watch:
The Met Office said gusts of up to 50 or 60 miles per hour would occur across the region with some localised areas experience up to 70 miles per hour gales.
There is also a further weather warning in place for rain tomorrow.
Are you the owner of this vehicle? Contact reporter Sarah Howells on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes