Phoenix staff have hair-raising fund raising idea
- Credit: Archant
Childcare workers to get waxed for Young Minds charity
12 brave men from a North Devon children’s service are to face off with beauticians and their waxing strips in a bid to raise money for charity.
The Phoenix Learning and Care staff are having parts of their bodies waxed on Tuesday July 30 to raise money for the Young Minds charity, which deals with mental health issues in young people.
The charity is close to the hearts of the Phoenix employees, as their company works to achieve positive outcomes for young people through a diverse range of services.
The men represent each of the different Phoenix homes in the area, and have been competitively fundraising for the event, which kicks off around midday at the Old Bus Station café in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to do something for Young Minds and raise some money and awareness,” said Phoenix registered manager Lucy Squire.
“We held a successful ‘Man vs. Food’-style curry challenge for Children in Need and raised over £200.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
Residential Childcare worker Sarah Jury said: “Each representative of the different homes has their own sponsor sheet and they’ve approached it as a competition against the different departments.
“One of the guys has already raised £150.”
The waxing will be done by local beauticians Jade Newton from TLC in Bideford, Dawn Walsh from Plush Pampering and Lisa Waring from Westward Ho!’s Lush Looks Beauty.
One of their victims, Kyle Groves, said he’s wanted to wax his legs for charity for a while.
“I wanted to do it before and thought I would nominate myself for this one,” he said. “I thought it would be a laugh at the time!”
As well as the waxing, there will also be a barbeque on the day and young people from the phoenix homes will be selling items they have made themselves.