North Devon MP urges Theresa May to ‘get on and deliver’ Brexit at Prime Minister’s Questions
- Credit: Parliament TV
North Devon MP Peter Heaton-Jones has urged the Prime Minister to ‘get on and deliver’ Brexit.
Mr Heaton-Jones addressed Theresa May in the House of Commons during Wednesday’s Prime Minster’s Questions.
He asked for the region not to be dismissed as ‘old people yearning for a world of white faces’ before asking the Prime Minister to move forward with leaving the EU.
Mr Heaton-Jones, who like Mrs May, campaigned to remain in the EU, said: “Nearly 60 per cent of voters in North Devon voted to leave.
“Rather than dismissing them as old people yearning for a world of white faces, shouldn’t we respect their decision, get on and deliver it.”
You may also want to watch:
In her response, the Prime Minister hit out at her opposition for ‘trying to frustrate’ the process of leaving the EU, saying the Conservatives in Government were ‘delivering for voters in North Devon’.
She said: “To my right honourable friend I absolutely agree with him that we need to get on with delivering Brexit, recognising the vote that was taken, and it’s a pity that what we’ve seen from the party opposite is a track record of trying to frustrate Brexit rather than trying to make it work.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 3 North Devon Tesco stores to hold extra summer Food Collection
- 4 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 7 Invitations to join this summer’s Devon Climate Assembly sent to households
- 8 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 9 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 10 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
“Their MEPs voted against us moving on with negotiations via the European Parliament, voted against the bill that will give us a smooth withdrawal from the EU, and the opposition oppose us spending money preparing for our exit.
“It’s the Conservatives in this Government that are getting on and delivering for the voters in North Devon.”