Permanent home for Ilfracombe life saver
- Credit: Archant
Defibrillator now has new home on the wall of Studio 20 under Market Arches.
A ‘wandering’ defibrillator is now available to save lives around the clock after being offered a permanent new home in Ilfracombe High Street.
When Studio 20 owners Mike and Jo Walker heard the police, South Western Ambulance Service and local authorities were appealing for an outside wall to place the equipment on, they offered their premises.
Used within three minutes of a cardiac arrest, a defibrillator can make the difference between life and death in the event of an emergency.
When 999 is dialled, the operator will advise the caller a defibrillator is nearby and will give directions plus a code to access the locked box, which is situated under Market Arches.
The equipment gives clear and easy instructions on how to use it and anyone may do so.
Since October it had been kept at McColls in the High Street, but of course was only available during store opening hours of 7am-11pm.
- 1 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 5 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 6 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 7 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 8 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
“I would like to thank the staff and management at McColls for their support and for allowing us to keep the defibrillator in their store while we were organising a location for the cabinet,” said PCSO Karen Grant.
“Thank you also to Studio 20 and the other businesses in the town that responded to our request.”
If you would like to know more about the defibrillator, contact PCSO Karen Grant by email at email@example.com or call 08456 565057.