Pensioners satisfy their wanderlust
THEY say age is only a number; and for a pair of intrepid North Devon 60-somethings, a three-month around-the-world adventure began on the number 51 bus from Barnstaple yesterday (Tuesday). Self-confessed old age travellers, Suzanne Flavell, 62, from Br
THEY say age is only a number; and for a pair of intrepid North Devon 60-somethings, a three-month around-the-world adventure began on the number 51 bus from Barnstaple yesterday (Tuesday).
Self-confessed "old age travellers," Suzanne Flavell, 62, from Braunton, and Judi Rebelo, 65, from Barnstaple, are leaving their normal lives behind for a backpacking trip around South East Asia and Australia.
But while others half their age might be put off from embarking upon such an adventure, grandmothers Suzanne and Judi are grasping the opportunity with both hands.
Their journey from Barnstaple Bus Station was the first leg of a trip that will take them via Heathrow to Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
You may also want to watch:
The only luxury on their trip will be a four-night stay in a Singapore hotel. The remainder of the tour will be carried out in the best backpacking traditions of youth hostels and public transport.
"We're both Sagittarians, the sign of the traveller," said Suzanne, who has given up her job at Banburys.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 8 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 9 Barnstaple Waterstones to host first event since March 2020
- 10 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station