Pensioners satisfy their wanderlust
THEY say age is only a number; and for a pair of intrepid North Devon 60-somethings, a three-month around-the-world adventure began on the number 51 bus from Barnstaple yesterday (Tuesday). Self-confessed old age travellers, Suzanne Flavell, 62, from Br
THEY say age is only a number; and for a pair of intrepid North Devon 60-somethings, a three-month around-the-world adventure began on the number 51 bus from Barnstaple yesterday (Tuesday).
Self-confessed "old age travellers," Suzanne Flavell, 62, from Braunton, and Judi Rebelo, 65, from Barnstaple, are leaving their normal lives behind for a backpacking trip around South East Asia and Australia.
But while others half their age might be put off from embarking upon such an adventure, grandmothers Suzanne and Judi are grasping the opportunity with both hands.
Their journey from Barnstaple Bus Station was the first leg of a trip that will take them via Heathrow to Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
You may also want to watch:
The only luxury on their trip will be a four-night stay in a Singapore hotel. The remainder of the tour will be carried out in the best backpacking traditions of youth hostels and public transport.
"We're both Sagittarians, the sign of the traveller," said Suzanne, who has given up her job at Banburys.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer