Pensioners satisfy their wanderlust
THEY say age is only a number; and for a pair of intrepid North Devon 60-somethings, a three-month around-the-world adventure began on the number 51 bus from Barnstaple yesterday (Tuesday). Self-confessed old age travellers, Suzanne Flavell, 62, from Br
THEY say age is only a number; and for a pair of intrepid North Devon 60-somethings, a three-month around-the-world adventure began on the number 51 bus from Barnstaple yesterday (Tuesday).
Self-confessed "old age travellers," Suzanne Flavell, 62, from Braunton, and Judi Rebelo, 65, from Barnstaple, are leaving their normal lives behind for a backpacking trip around South East Asia and Australia.
But while others half their age might be put off from embarking upon such an adventure, grandmothers Suzanne and Judi are grasping the opportunity with both hands.
Their journey from Barnstaple Bus Station was the first leg of a trip that will take them via Heathrow to Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
You may also want to watch:
The only luxury on their trip will be a four-night stay in a Singapore hotel. The remainder of the tour will be carried out in the best backpacking traditions of youth hostels and public transport.
"We're both Sagittarians, the sign of the traveller," said Suzanne, who has given up her job at Banburys.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land