Pensioner accused of 21 sexual offences towards young boys
- Credit: Archant
Torrington man pleads not guilty at North Devon Magistrates’ Court.
A Torrington man pleaded not guilty to 21 charges of indecency towards young boys at North Devon Magistrates’ Court today (Friday).
72-year-old John Downing, of Penhallam, is charged with 14 counts of indecent assault and seven counts of gross indecency towards boys under the age of 14 between 1968 and 1975, and the case will now be heard at Exeter Crown Court.
Downing is alleged to have indecently assaulted the same boy on five occasions and to have committed four acts of gross indecency with him, as well as acts towards three other boys in that timescale.
Sitting magistrate Jane Kivlin sent the case to crown court due to the serious nature of the charges.
You may also want to watch:
Downing was granted unconditional bail. The trial will take place on September 20.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park