PCSO pushes for marathon support
- Credit: Archant
Ilfracombe East’s local PCSO will be pounding the pavements of Brighton for charity on Sunday.
A POLICE community support officer will be switching her patrol boots for trainers on Sunday as she enters the Brighton Marathon.
Karen Grant, PCSO for Ilfracombe East, swore she would never run another marathon after completing the London Marathon in 1995.
But Karen, 50, decided to give it another go and will be trying to beat her previous time of four hours, 33 minutes while raising money for Care for Kids North Devon.
“I run a couple of times a week with the North Devon Road Runners and a group of about eight of them were doing it, so I thought I would too,” said Karen.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m raising money to help the families of sick children in North Devon, and every penny raised will go straight to the charity.”
Karen has already collected more than £550 through donations, a coffee morning at her home, and quiz night at the George and Dragon in Ilfracombe.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
But she is hoping people will support their local PCSO by sponsoring her in her last fundraising push.
“I’ve done my 22 mile run, and I’m now tapering down my training,” she said.
“I did have a bit of a chest infection which meant I couldn’t run for four weeks, but I feel ready now.
“I want to thank everyone who has supported me so far, especially my friend Rebecca Hill, who ran every mile of the 22 mile run with me, even though she isn’t running the marathon.”
Anyone wishing to sponsor Karen can do so my visiting http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/KarenGrant5.