PCSO hitches lift on Torridge mobile library
A NEW chapter in rural policing has come to parts of Torridgeside, with visits by the mobile library now bringing a police presence to some of the more outlying communities. PCSO John McGovern joined mobile library assistant Vincent Sullivan aboard the li
A NEW chapter in rural policing has come to parts of Torridgeside, with visits by the mobile library now bringing a police presence to some of the more outlying communities.
PCSO John McGovern joined mobile library assistant Vincent Sullivan aboard the library van in Hartland for the first of what will be regular occurrences this summer.
While Vincent took books to the library's regular callers in Hartland, Clovelly, Stoke, Meddon and Welcombe, passenger John brought a host of advice and information on policing matters and other information from agencies and authorities which are part of the Partners and Communities Together (PACT) initiative. Visitors to the library are able to raise issues of local concern - be they policing matters such as crime, speeding and unruly behaviour or matters concerning other agencies and authorities such as faulty street lighting, potholes or social issues.
These can be discussed face to face or concerns and comments written on PACT cards, which are posted into a box inside the library for John to take back to the police station for consideration or to e passed on to the relevant organisation or authority.
You may also want to watch:
"Using the mobile library is a fantastic example of partner agencies working together to address the concerns of communities and also promoting themselves and saving money," said John. "It is a good way of us getting out and interacting with communities and getting people's views."
Dates of when there will be a community police presence on the Hartland area library van will be posted on the Devon and Cornwall Police website under Neighbourhood Policing.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park