Party tribute to Torrington soldier
A SUMMER party is being held in memory of a former Great Torrington Community School student, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan last year. The special event at Clinton Hall, Merton, on Saturday, August 21, will celebrate the life of Dane Elson,
A SUMMER party is being held in memory of a former Great Torrington Community School student, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan last year.
The special event at Clinton Hall, Merton, on Saturday, August 21, will celebrate the life of Dane Elson, who was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED), while on patrol with the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards on July 5, 2009.
It is being organised by Dane's cousin Kate Elston, who is donating all the proceeds raised from the evening to the charity Help for Heroes.
"Our world was tipped upside down last July but the family has all rallied together to raise money for charities that were close to Dane's," said Kate.
You may also want to watch:
"The party starts at 7.30pm and there will be live music by local band The Alchemists as well as a bar, buffet, raffle and auction.
"We have some fantastic prizes including an original and special one-off painting of a peregrine falcon in honour of Dane's middle name, Falcon."
- 1 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 2 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 3 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 4 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 5 MP hits back at Lib Dem council leader's winter of discontent warning
- 6 MP calls on councils to 'do more' to support Barnstaple town centre
- 7 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
- 8 Christine Stephenson found safe and well
- 9 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 10 The Beggar's Opera - This week at the Queen's Theatre
"I really hope people will come along and support this event for our heroes."
Tickets are �15 for adults and �7.50 per child which includes a buffet. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01837) 811218.