Party tribute to Torrington soldier
A SUMMER party is being held in memory of a former Great Torrington Community School student, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan last year. The special event at Clinton Hall, Merton, on Saturday, August 21, will celebrate the life of Dane Elson,
A SUMMER party is being held in memory of a former Great Torrington Community School student, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan last year.
The special event at Clinton Hall, Merton, on Saturday, August 21, will celebrate the life of Dane Elson, who was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED), while on patrol with the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards on July 5, 2009.
It is being organised by Dane's cousin Kate Elston, who is donating all the proceeds raised from the evening to the charity Help for Heroes.
"Our world was tipped upside down last July but the family has all rallied together to raise money for charities that were close to Dane's," said Kate.
You may also want to watch:
"The party starts at 7.30pm and there will be live music by local band The Alchemists as well as a bar, buffet, raffle and auction.
"We have some fantastic prizes including an original and special one-off painting of a peregrine falcon in honour of Dane's middle name, Falcon."
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 9 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 10 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
"I really hope people will come along and support this event for our heroes."
Tickets are �15 for adults and �7.50 per child which includes a buffet. For more information email email@example.com or telephone (01837) 811218.