Party tribute to Torrington soldier
A SUMMER party is being held in memory of a former Great Torrington Community School student, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan last year. The special event at Clinton Hall, Merton, on Saturday, August 21, will celebrate the life of Dane Elson,
A SUMMER party is being held in memory of a former Great Torrington Community School student, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan last year.
The special event at Clinton Hall, Merton, on Saturday, August 21, will celebrate the life of Dane Elson, who was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED), while on patrol with the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards on July 5, 2009.
It is being organised by Dane's cousin Kate Elston, who is donating all the proceeds raised from the evening to the charity Help for Heroes.
"Our world was tipped upside down last July but the family has all rallied together to raise money for charities that were close to Dane's," said Kate.
You may also want to watch:
"The party starts at 7.30pm and there will be live music by local band The Alchemists as well as a bar, buffet, raffle and auction.
"We have some fantastic prizes including an original and special one-off painting of a peregrine falcon in honour of Dane's middle name, Falcon."
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 6 Times Past: How South Molton centrepiece came to be
- 7 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 8 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 9 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
"I really hope people will come along and support this event for our heroes."
Tickets are �15 for adults and �7.50 per child which includes a buffet. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01837) 811218.