Party in the street with your neighbours in Landkey this Sunday
THE people of Landkey have been invited to turn out in their droves for a street party this Sunday afternoon as part of the nationwide Big Lunch initiative. Across the country people will be sitting down to eat with their neighbours, family and friends in
THE people of Landkey have been invited to turn out in their droves for a street party this Sunday afternoon as part of the nationwide Big Lunch initiative.
Across the country people will be sitting down to eat with their neighbours, family and friends in a bid to rediscover that community togetherness which can get lost in the busy modern world.
The Landkey party is being hosted in Manor Road by the Ring O' Bells pub and runs from 1-5pm, with North Devon MP Nick Harvey conducting the official opening at 1.
The notion of a UK-wide Big Lunch was dreamed up by Paul Smit and Tim Twivy of the Eden Project, and they are urging as many as possible to join in with numerous Big Lunches up and down the country.
You may also want to watch:
In Landkey, at 2.30pm a helicopter fly past is expected and at 3 everyone is invited to sit down to a bring-and-share lunch. At 4 local entertainer Roger Colome will be singing and hosting a talent show for any young people who would like to tell a joke, sing, dance or entertain.
A fire engine will be on hand for youngsters to explore, as well as a bouncy castle, stocks complete with wet sponge ammunition, cream teas, children's pavement art, circus skills demonstrations and a variety of activities for younger children at Landkey Pre-school's premises.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
"It's all about trying to get the community together on one day to get people meeting each other," said organiser Tracey Hommell.
"Everybody is pulling together to help with the event, so come along, bring your own food and drink and sit down together for a street lunch."
Big Lunch events are being held across North Devon. To find one nearest to you, visit www.thebiglunch.com.