New Northern Devon Parkinson’s support group formed
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Two local Parkinson’s UK branches have merged to offer an all-encompassing group for North Devon and Torridge.
The Northern Devon Branch of Parkinson’s UK was formed due to a difficulty finding volunteers to cover its branches in both Torridge and the Barnstaple and district area.
The newly amalgamated branch covers both districts and the free membership will include activities such as local exercise classes, speech therapy and coffee mornings once coronavirus restrictions are fully lifted.
The group is looking to expand its team of volunteers to ensure members across the two districts are well supported.
Vice-chairman Ian Parsons said: “Obviously, there will be extra work involved and with it the need for more help.
You may also want to watch:
“We would love to hear from anyone who might be willing to give up a few hours to join us in our work. In particular we are looking for a new secretary and treasurer.
“There are also a wide range of other jobs which are essential to ensure the smooth running of the enlarged branch, from helping to prepare the newsletter, helping at coffee mornings and fundraising.”
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
Anyone interested in getting involved as a volunteer, or anyone affected by Parkinson’s is asked to get in touch with chairman Patrick Kivlin on 01237 472408.