I am a Bidefordian in my early 90s and I feel compelled to write to highlight the problems faced by many young Bidefordians today.
Too much money is wasted on and by the officers and councillors of Torridge District Council when many people are struggling to feed and clothe their growing families.
Thank goodness we have the harbour group and the newly-opened food bank to care for the under-privileged.
Bideford is only a small town and many of its inhabitants are elderly so they can’t walk far.
It is not a city where many younger people live and work, where there are many buses and an underground transport system, so there are proportionally fewer parking meters.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford people have fewer transport choices so it is unfair to erect so many parking meters.
Torridge District Council, instead of finding ways of encouraging employment in the town, is killing off trading in the Little White Town. They are erecting unnecessary parking meters on every bit of grass and concrete.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
This is stopping the independent shopkeepers from employing more staff; Bideford shops should be able to employ more local people.
The town will die when even the most determined small shopkeepers are forced out of business because of excessive parking charges.
Shame on the council – and now a parking ticket put on a lifeboat says it all.
We should save money by getting rid of half of the councillors and officers and all of the traffic wardens.
Name and address supplied