Pupils evacuated from Barnstaple school after ‘suspicious package’ claims
- Credit: Google
Pupils at a Barnstaple school were evacuated this morning (Wednesday, November 25) after claims of a suspicious package on the school premises.
The Park Community School confirmed it had taken the decision to evacuate pupils to Rock Park following a phone call from an anonymous caller claiming a suspicious package was in the school.
The incident is believed to be a hoax similar to the one which occurred at Pilton Community College on Tuesday (November 24), which saw the school evacuated to Barnstaple Rugby Club.
Police attended the school in Park Lane, and after agreeing the site was safe, pupils have returned to the site to carry on with the school day.
A letter from headteacher Gareth Roscoe said: “We received a phone call this morning from an anonymous caller claiming that there is a suspicious package in school. The police believe this is a hoax call (similar to the one Pilton School received yesterday).
“We evacuated the school buildings and escorted students to Rock Park following the processes and procedures in our emergency plan.
You may also want to watch:
“The police have been on site and we have worked with them to ensure all students and staff are safe; we understand that this is part of a national issue and not just in Barnstaple.
“After due consideration of the threat, the school agreed with the police view that the school is safe and have asked us to continue with the school day, including the Year 11 mock examinations.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 4 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 7 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
“Student and staff safety is paramount and we will follow all guidance we receive to ensure this is the case at all times.
“We appreciate that this message may be alarming but, as you would expect, we have done everything we can to ensure the wellbeing of all of our community at all times; the school day will now continue as normal as this is in the best interest of our students.”
A statement from Devon and Cornwall Police said “A report was made to police at around 9am today of a malicious hoax communication to The Park School in Barnstaple.
“Police take hoaxes extremely seriously. They divert police resources and cause disruption and alarm to the public.”