Parents bid to set up Braunton free school
The primary school could be open by September 2014 if the group’s application is successful.
A GROUP of parents and teachers from Braunton are hoping to apply to set up a free primary school in Braunton.
To be able to open the school in September 2014, the group will have to apply to the government backed scheme by January 4.
It would initially open at a reception to year four school, progressing to a fully fledged primary school.
The idea for the project comes with the development of 62 houses and flats on the Pill Gardens site.
You may also want to watch:
Karen Mitchell, of Braunton, is one of the parents behind the scheme and said: “We have three primary schools in the village which are all full.
“It’s estimated this development could bring another 150 children into the village and a lot of people seem to be interested in this idea.”
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
The school would have an emphasis on being eco-friendly and will broadly follow the National Curriculum for English, maths and science in a creative and varied way.
Karen said: “We intend that all staff will be dedicated to instilling high aspirations in all students, regardless of ability so that our pupils will leave fulfilling their potential.
“As a school we will achieve inspirationally high results and encourage children to excel in areas of individual interest.
“Our vision is for a school where the arts, music, sports and languages play an important part in the curriculum.”
The group is currently looking for volunteers to be part of the founding group and would particularly like to hear from anyone with school finance or other financial experience.
Anyone interested in joining the group or hearing more should email firstname.lastname@example.org