Paras to visit Appledore book festival
NORTH Devon Branch of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Association has elected Appledore county and district councillor Andrew Eastman as its president to succeed the late Vivian Moon. The association, which is now only 18 strong, also decided
NORTH Devon Branch of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Association has elected Appledore county and district councillor Andrew Eastman as its president to succeed the late Vivian Moon.
The association, which is now only 18 strong, also decided at its meeting to buy 14 tickets for an event at the Appledore Book Festival this autumn when the guest speaker will be General Sir Mike Jackson.
At least one of the association's members, Royston Bellerby, served with him in Northern Ireland.
General Sir Mike Jackson is the best known British General of modern times. He retired in 2006 after 40 years of service in the British Army, finishing as Chief of the General Staff.
You may also want to watch:
His autobiography Soldier is an outspoken account of a life lived through war and conflict.
Appledore Book Festival runs from September 25 to October 3.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
The General will be speaking in Appledore Parish Church on the evening of October 1.
Among a host of other celebrities taking part in the festival are actress Virgina McKenna, best known for Born Free; BBC news correspondent Kate Adie; Baroness PD James, detective novel authoress; former Members of Parliament Shirley Williams, Ann Widdecombe, Lord Norman Tebbit and Lord Paddy Ashdown; Stella Rimington, former director general of MI5; and June Spencer, best known as Peggy Archer and the only original cast member of the Archers remaining.