Owzat! Bideford sportswear firm wins contract to kit out French national side.
- Credit: Archant
Local firm plays a big role in European cricket development.
A BIDEFORD sportswear firm has scored big in Europe with a contract to kit out an international cricket team.
MJM Sports has knocked the competition for six with a six-figure deal with the French senior, ladies and under-19 squads.
Managing director Terry Schofield said he sealed the deal following a chance email to the head of France Cricket.
“The whole contract was agreed in just under a month via Skype and email,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a good news story for us and for Bideford businesses; we’ve already had to employ an extra member of staff as a result.”
MJM will supply the teams with sportswear from its own ‘21st Century Cricket’ label.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 6 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 9 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 10 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
The company, which is based at Clovelly Road Industrial Estate, has developed a range of high-quality cost-effective fabrics and designs and hopes to be able to roll out the brand to French league teams, as well as to school and universities, where the sport is said to be ‘taking off’.
Mark Moodley, general manager of France Cricket told the Gazette that plans were under way to cement cricket in to the heart of French culture.
“We are delighted as this deal comes in at a very important stage in our development,” he said.
“Our aim to make cricket a French sport; we have recently signed an agreement with the French Government to officially teach cricket in primary schools and are currently initiating around 10,000 kids per year.
“This year we have European Division One championships that are very important to us and it is important that when we communicate with the kids our teams look professional.
“It is also very good to work with Terry from MJM. He never seems to say no! I really appreciated his let’s get to work manner, thus enabling us to sign the contract within one month despite never having actually physically met each other.”
Mr Schofield added: “We see this as an amazing opportunity to launch our product into Europe. It will also strengthen our UK sales with our own cricket brand.
“We are excited about the fact we are about to supply our first international team and look forward to a great relationship with the French over the next three years.”