Oven fire sparks alarm in town centre
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple Square cordoned off following flat fire
FIRE crews cordoned off The Square in Barnstaple last night (Thursday) after being called to a fire in a flat.
Two fire engines and a hydraulic platform from Barnstaple attended the first floor flat at around 7.20pm.
The initial callout reported a flat on fire so crews cordoned off the road as a precaution.
But on inspection, the fire, which had taken place in an oven, was out on arrival.
You may also want to watch:
Incident Commander Wayne Keenan said crews used two breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet as a precaution.
He said: “It turned out to be a small fire in a first floor kitchen involving an oven.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
“It appeared the oven had not been used for some time and caused the fire.
“We’d like to remind people to make sure their grill pans and ovens are kept clean to prevent a fire.”