Outstanding award for fundraising hero
National award for former chairman of the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign.
A BIDEFORD man has received a national award from Cancer Research UK for his long and outstanding fundraising efforts.
Basil Pidgeon was presented with the Flame of Hope award and was named an honorary fellow of Cancer Research UK in a recent ceremony.
Mr Pidgeon spent 48 years on the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign, becoming chairman in 1971.
He retired from the post at the age of 80 last year, having raised help the committee raise more than �204,000 in that time.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pidgeon was presented the award by Bideford Mayor Simon Inch in front of family and friends during a ceremony in the town hall.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe