Outstanding award for fundraising hero
National award for former chairman of the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign.
A BIDEFORD man has received a national award from Cancer Research UK for his long and outstanding fundraising efforts.
Basil Pidgeon was presented with the Flame of Hope award and was named an honorary fellow of Cancer Research UK in a recent ceremony.
Mr Pidgeon spent 48 years on the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign, becoming chairman in 1971.
He retired from the post at the age of 80 last year, having raised help the committee raise more than �204,000 in that time.
Mr Pidgeon was presented the award by Bideford Mayor Simon Inch in front of family and friends during a ceremony in the town hall.
- 1 OPINION: A new plan for Barnstaple's Oliver Buildings - Tim Jones
- 2 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 3 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 4 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 5 Kenwith Castle care home welcomes new manager
- 6 OPINION: How much do you know about the ground beneath your feet?
- 7 Downing Street party video: Boris Johnson apologises but denies allegations
- 8 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 9 OPINION: Give back this festive season at the Wave Project Christmas markets
- 10 Bideford beat top side Truro in challenging conditions