Outstanding award for fundraising hero
National award for former chairman of the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign.
A BIDEFORD man has received a national award from Cancer Research UK for his long and outstanding fundraising efforts.
Basil Pidgeon was presented with the Flame of Hope award and was named an honorary fellow of Cancer Research UK in a recent ceremony.
Mr Pidgeon spent 48 years on the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign, becoming chairman in 1971.
He retired from the post at the age of 80 last year, having raised help the committee raise more than �204,000 in that time.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pidgeon was presented the award by Bideford Mayor Simon Inch in front of family and friends during a ceremony in the town hall.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 4 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 5 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 10 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat