Outstanding award for fundraising hero
National award for former chairman of the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign.
A BIDEFORD man has received a national award from Cancer Research UK for his long and outstanding fundraising efforts.
Basil Pidgeon was presented with the Flame of Hope award and was named an honorary fellow of Cancer Research UK in a recent ceremony.
Mr Pidgeon spent 48 years on the Bideford Committee of the British Empire Cancer Campaign, becoming chairman in 1971.
He retired from the post at the age of 80 last year, having raised help the committee raise more than �204,000 in that time.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pidgeon was presented the award by Bideford Mayor Simon Inch in front of family and friends during a ceremony in the town hall.
- 1 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 4 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 5 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 6 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 7 Ton-up Brend helps Bideford set early pace
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 MP welcomes free virtual funding workshop for North Devon charities
- 10 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses