Organisers reveal headline act for Barnstaple Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Girl group to bring urban edge to town’s festive shopping launch.
THE cutting edge of the UK urban music scene will be illuminating the eyes and ears of Barnstaple this Christmas.
Up-and-coming girl group Stooshe have been booked to turn on the town’s Christmas lights on Sunday, November 24.
The MOBO and Brit Award nominated trio have been shortlisted for artist of the year, best female act, and best R&B act at next month’s at the European Urban Music Awards.
And they’ll be performing on the Square to headline a packed bill of entertainment designed to officially launch Barnstaple’s late night Christmas shopping schedule.
You may also want to watch:
A full line up – complete with a few added surprises – is expected to be announced by organisers Barnstaple Town Centre Management and BID Barnstaple soon.
Dane Stanley, chairman of BID Barnstaple, said he hoped the town was set for its best switch on yet.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
He said: “We are very pleased to announce an exciting headline act to switch on the town’s Christmas Lights this year.
“The event always draws large crowds and with the recent influx of new businesses coming into the town centre, we are hopefully set for the best switch on yet.”
Stooshe, who recently toured with Nicki Minaj, formed in January 2011 and scored a top five hit with their debut single Love Me. Their next single Black Heart peaked at number three in the charts, while Slip, released in May this year, reached number 12.
Described as ‘bold and edgy’, the group’s debut album London with the Lights On, debuted at number eight in the UK album charts in June.
The event, sponsored by local businesses including the North Devon Gazette, has attracted top talent to the town in the last six years, including soul singer Beverley Knight, who performed last year. Joss Stone, The Saturdays, Noisettes, Newton Faulkner, Dionne Bromfield have also helped give Barnstaple an enviable reputation for attracting top talent.
Mr Stanely added: “The BID team has always worked hard to build on Barnstaple’s reputation for delivering a great Christmas switch on.
“We recognise the importance such an event carries in putting our town on the map. “
Organisers said the event had been switched back from a Thursday to a Sunday at the request of retailers, who it is hoped will benefit from what is certain to be a huge footfall in the town.