Organisers reveal headline act for Barnstaple Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Girl group to bring urban edge to town’s festive shopping launch.
THE cutting edge of the UK urban music scene will be illuminating the eyes and ears of Barnstaple this Christmas.
Up-and-coming girl group Stooshe have been booked to turn on the town’s Christmas lights on Sunday, November 24.
The MOBO and Brit Award nominated trio have been shortlisted for artist of the year, best female act, and best R&B act at next month’s at the European Urban Music Awards.
And they’ll be performing on the Square to headline a packed bill of entertainment designed to officially launch Barnstaple’s late night Christmas shopping schedule.
You may also want to watch:
A full line up – complete with a few added surprises – is expected to be announced by organisers Barnstaple Town Centre Management and BID Barnstaple soon.
Dane Stanley, chairman of BID Barnstaple, said he hoped the town was set for its best switch on yet.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 9 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 10 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
He said: “We are very pleased to announce an exciting headline act to switch on the town’s Christmas Lights this year.
“The event always draws large crowds and with the recent influx of new businesses coming into the town centre, we are hopefully set for the best switch on yet.”
Stooshe, who recently toured with Nicki Minaj, formed in January 2011 and scored a top five hit with their debut single Love Me. Their next single Black Heart peaked at number three in the charts, while Slip, released in May this year, reached number 12.
Described as ‘bold and edgy’, the group’s debut album London with the Lights On, debuted at number eight in the UK album charts in June.
The event, sponsored by local businesses including the North Devon Gazette, has attracted top talent to the town in the last six years, including soul singer Beverley Knight, who performed last year. Joss Stone, The Saturdays, Noisettes, Newton Faulkner, Dionne Bromfield have also helped give Barnstaple an enviable reputation for attracting top talent.
Mr Stanely added: “The BID team has always worked hard to build on Barnstaple’s reputation for delivering a great Christmas switch on.
“We recognise the importance such an event carries in putting our town on the map. “
Organisers said the event had been switched back from a Thursday to a Sunday at the request of retailers, who it is hoped will benefit from what is certain to be a huge footfall in the town.