Opening up the North Devon AONB online and beyond
A new project has been launched to help people find out more about the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – and to get out there and enjoy it for themselves. A newly appointed project officer will be working with local communities to ascertain
A new project has been launched to help people find out more about the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - and to get out there and enjoy it for themselves.
A newly appointed project officer will be working with local communities to ascertain how the AONB website can be developed to support greater access and information to the area's historic landscape, nature and natural beauty.
This website aims to encourage both residents and visitors to follow the road less travelled, leave the car behind and explore the coast around them under their own steam.
Clare Manning, the new Explore the Coast officer who will be visiting each parish, said: "I was brought up in North Devon and enjoy walking, nature and history.
You may also want to watch:
"The AONB spans a large area - from Welcombe to Combe Martin and without a lot of time, it isn't quick or easy to research the best spots and fully appreciate its heritage features.
"This website should provide a fast way to do just that. I feel privileged to have such an interesting task of researching sites and routes across the AONB. I am looking forward to meeting many new people from all the communities and working with them to help us to identify which physical sites and landscape features to focus on.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
"This is a fantastic opportunity for North Devon and I hope the website will be well-used by the local community including schools and community groups, as well as visitors and tourism businesses alike."
The website will explain features of the landscape and provide links to new and existing resources, cycle ways and walking routes, such as the coast path and public rights of way.
If you live in the North Devon AONB and would like to help shape how your parish should be interpreted or would like to know more about the project, contact Clare Manning on (01237) 423655, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit explorethecoast.blogspot.com. For more information about the AONB go to www.northdevon-aonb.org.uk.