Open-top buses return in time for summer
New seven-day-a-week service until the end of August
FOR the first time in at least six years, open-top commercial service buses are back on the road in North Devon.
The new Atlantic Explorer Service 8, operated by First Devon and Cornwall, generated promising passenger numbers over the Easter period.
Hopefully, with more fine weather to come, things are looking good for the bus service, which will run seven days a week throughout the summer until August 29.
The Atlantic Explorer Service 8 operates between Barnstaple Town Centre and Croyde Ruda Holiday Park calling at Barnstaple Rail Station, Chivenor, Braunton, Saunton and Croyde on the way.
You may also want to watch:
A ticket allowing customers to hop on and off all day long costs �4 for adults and �3.10 for children; the ticket also allows customers to travel unlimited on all the other First bus services in North Devon, too. Family tickets - suitable for up to five people, with a maximum of two adults - are also available.
Marc Reddy, Managing Director of First in Devon and Cornwall, saids: “We’re thrilled to be able to bring open top buses back to North Devon. This area boasts some of the most amazing scenery that Britain has to offer and what better way to see it all than by travelling by open top bus?
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 6 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
“If you go by bus you’ll be able to relax, enjoy the view – seeing over the top of hedgerows – and more importantly you won’t have to worry about the driving, or about finding somewhere to park at the other end.”
Service 8, the Atlantic Explorer, runs hourly Monday – Sunday. For those travelling by train from Exeter joint bus and rail tickets – incorporating travel on the open top bus - are also available from First Great Western.
For more information about the Open Top Atlantic Explorer Bus, log onto: www.firstgroup.com/devon.