Open evening at Bishops Nympton community shop
THE Bishops Nympton Community Shop is holding an open evening next week to encourage more villagers to use it and ensure its long term survival. Current volunteers will be talking to visitors between 6.30pm and 9pm next Wednesday and answering any questi
THE Bishops Nympton Community Shop is holding an open evening next week to encourage more villagers to use it and ensure its long term survival.
Current volunteers will be talking to visitors between 6.30pm and 9pm next Wednesday and answering any questions potential helpers might have.
The Community shop has been open since June 1 and serves a population of around 500. It boasts a broad range of products and members of the local WI will be laying on a free buffet in the village hall using only ingredients which are available at the shop.
Also running will be a competition for children from Bishops Nympton Primary school to design a new shop logo on the theme "Looking after the Locals." There is a family hamper up for grabs for the winning entry.
You may also want to watch:
The logos will be on display in the shop and visitors will be able to judge the entries.
Cllr Jeremy Yabsley, Devon County Councillor for South Molton, said: "The social value of village shops cannot be overstated. They are the hub of the community and a crucial source of social support and advice for the many residents who depend on them for essential supplies, as well as for financial and post office services.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
"Older people, in particular, and young families with no access to transport during the day are especially affected."
The event is free and is supported by Devon County Council through the Rural Shops Alliance and the Community Council of Devon.