Olympic cash up for grabs
Local schools and groups urged to apply for a share of council funding
NORTH Devon Council has approved funds to help local people celebrate the Olympics this summer.
The council is putting �5,000 aside to support sports clubs, community groups and schools with organising their own Olympic Torch Relay-inspired events.
The flame will reach North Devon on Monday, May 21 and the council wants everyone to have the opportunity to share in the excitement of the Olympic Games as the torch passes through the district.
Councillor Derrick Spear, executive member for culture, said: “It will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many of us, as well as being a chance for us to show the world what North Devon has to offer.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Yvette Gubb, executive member for community, added: “We understand that not everyone will get to see the torch, so making some money available to help schools and community groups hold their own events will mean that more people can feel involved, and get inspired by the torch and what it represents.”
The exact route and times of the torch’s journey are not yet known, but it will travel through Sticklepath, Barnstaple, Braunton, Knowle, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin, Lynton and Lynmouth.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 4 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 5 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 10 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
To apply for funding, schools, community groups and sports clubs can download an application form at www.northdevon.gov.uk/london2012, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01271) 318533 for a copy of the application form and guidance.