Olympic cash up for grabs
Local schools and groups urged to apply for a share of council funding
NORTH Devon Council has approved funds to help local people celebrate the Olympics this summer.
The council is putting �5,000 aside to support sports clubs, community groups and schools with organising their own Olympic Torch Relay-inspired events.
The flame will reach North Devon on Monday, May 21 and the council wants everyone to have the opportunity to share in the excitement of the Olympic Games as the torch passes through the district.
Councillor Derrick Spear, executive member for culture, said: “It will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many of us, as well as being a chance for us to show the world what North Devon has to offer.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Yvette Gubb, executive member for community, added: “We understand that not everyone will get to see the torch, so making some money available to help schools and community groups hold their own events will mean that more people can feel involved, and get inspired by the torch and what it represents.”
The exact route and times of the torch’s journey are not yet known, but it will travel through Sticklepath, Barnstaple, Braunton, Knowle, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin, Lynton and Lynmouth.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
To apply for funding, schools, community groups and sports clubs can download an application form at www.northdevon.gov.uk/london2012, email email@example.com or call (01271) 318533 for a copy of the application form and guidance.