Not development land
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell s excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as devel
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell's excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as development land.
I also understand that the location of the proposed marina is next to the Site of Special Scientific Interest on the River Torridge.
An SSSI designation is designed to protect the wildlife of the area and, indeed, I walk there every day and regularly see shellduck, dunlin, curlew, oystercatchers, redshanks, heron and, occasionally, kingfishers.
I should also add that the proposed marina is in a Coastal Protection Area (a classification supposedly aimed at protecting the beautiful estuary from this and the other developments which have been proposed) and that there is also a policy of maintaining a rural gap between Northam and Appledore in order to stop these two settlements joining in one urban sprawl.
You may also want to watch:
Veronica Leat, Northam.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief