Not development land
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell s excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as devel
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell's excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as development land.
I also understand that the location of the proposed marina is next to the Site of Special Scientific Interest on the River Torridge.
An SSSI designation is designed to protect the wildlife of the area and, indeed, I walk there every day and regularly see shellduck, dunlin, curlew, oystercatchers, redshanks, heron and, occasionally, kingfishers.
I should also add that the proposed marina is in a Coastal Protection Area (a classification supposedly aimed at protecting the beautiful estuary from this and the other developments which have been proposed) and that there is also a policy of maintaining a rural gap between Northam and Appledore in order to stop these two settlements joining in one urban sprawl.
You may also want to watch:
Veronica Leat, Northam.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 3 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 8 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 9 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 10 New food delivery service launched in Barnstaple