Not development land
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell s excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as devel
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell's excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as development land.
I also understand that the location of the proposed marina is next to the Site of Special Scientific Interest on the River Torridge.
An SSSI designation is designed to protect the wildlife of the area and, indeed, I walk there every day and regularly see shellduck, dunlin, curlew, oystercatchers, redshanks, heron and, occasionally, kingfishers.
I should also add that the proposed marina is in a Coastal Protection Area (a classification supposedly aimed at protecting the beautiful estuary from this and the other developments which have been proposed) and that there is also a policy of maintaining a rural gap between Northam and Appledore in order to stop these two settlements joining in one urban sprawl.
You may also want to watch:
Veronica Leat, Northam.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 10 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe