Not development land
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell s excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as devel
SIR - Just to add some facts to Jeremy Bell's excellent letter on the proposed development at Knapp (Yours Sincerely, July 22), my understanding is that the area is categorised as Open Countryside in the Local Plan, meaning that it is not classed as development land.
I also understand that the location of the proposed marina is next to the Site of Special Scientific Interest on the River Torridge.
An SSSI designation is designed to protect the wildlife of the area and, indeed, I walk there every day and regularly see shellduck, dunlin, curlew, oystercatchers, redshanks, heron and, occasionally, kingfishers.
I should also add that the proposed marina is in a Coastal Protection Area (a classification supposedly aimed at protecting the beautiful estuary from this and the other developments which have been proposed) and that there is also a policy of maintaining a rural gap between Northam and Appledore in order to stop these two settlements joining in one urban sprawl.
You may also want to watch:
Veronica Leat, Northam.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 5 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 8 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 9 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 10 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon