North Devon volunteers needed for Summer Food Collection
- Credit: ©ParsonsMedia.net
Volunteers are being sought in North Devon to help two leading charities support children and families this summer.
From July 15-17, charities FareShare and the Trussell Trust will be collecting long-life food in Tesco’s large North Devon stores as part of a special Food Collection to support children and families throughout the summer holidays.
Food donated by Tesco customers during the collection will go to support food banks in the Trussell Trust’s network and to local charities supplied by FareShare, including holiday clubs providing healthy meals and activities to youngsters outside of term-time.
Tesco will once again top up customer donations made in store by 20% in cash to aid the two charities in their work.
North Devon volunteers are needed to encourage shoppers to leave their donations in the collection point at the front of stores, as shoppers are more likely to donate if volunteers are present, and to spread awareness of the collection through social media. The appeal for volunteers comes ahead of Volunteers Week, which celebrates the work of volunteers in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Julian Mines, CEO at FareShare South West, said: “More people than ever are struggling to put food on the table and will do for months if not years to come as the economy recovers. We have seen a huge increase in people turning to their local grassroots community groups for support and demand for food remains high.
“We would be incredibly grateful to anyone who is able to volunteer just two hours of their time this year to encourage more shoppers to donate much needed long-life food to those who need it most.”
- 1 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 2 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 5 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 6 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 A39 Atlantic Highway near new school 'safe' after no collisions in two years
- 9 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 10 Covid case rise in Devon's young people prompts warning
The summer collection is in addition to the pre-Christmas Tesco Food Collection, which takes place annually at the end of November. It is the second year running that Tesco has run a summer Food Collection; following on from a special collection held last summer as the charities were faced with a rise in need caused by Covid-19.
To find out more about volunteering during the Tesco Food Collection and to sign up visit: https://fareshare.org.uk/foodcollection/