North Devon villages to benefit from high-speed broadband
- Credit: Archant
Fibre optic set to go live in several locations by the summer.
HIGH-speed fibre optic broadband will be available in more North Devon villages by the end of July, BT has announced.
Braunton, Swimbridge, Shirwell, Woolacombe and Bradworthy are among the latest exchange areas to benefit from the company’s £94 million Connecting Devon and Somerset roll-out programme.
In North Devon, fibre broadband is already available in Barnstaple, Bideford, Holsworthy and Hatherleigh.
An interactive map showing the latest cabinets to ‘go live’, as well as estimated dates for others, can be viewed at www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk
You may also want to watch:
The Connecting Devon and Somerset programme aims to make superfast broadband speeds of 24Mbps and above available to around 90 per cent of homes and businesses by the end of 2016.
Laurent Boon, BT’s programme manager for Connecting Devon and Somerset, said: “Despite the difficult weather, the partnership has achieved strong progress and is already bringing great benefits to rural communities.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
“On the first anniversary since the partnership’s contract signing, we have made fibre broadband available to more than 16,000 premises and put in place clear plans to reach 70,000 by early Summer.”
Councillor Andrew Leadbetter, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Economy and Growth, said: “We are extremely pleased to be able to make this next announcement so soon into the New Year. It comes as a result of all the survey work, which has formed so much of the behind the scenes work undertaken last year.
“Businesses across Devon will now have the chance to grow and develop and compete on a more equal footing with their more urban competitors.”